7.01.2011

Meeting the Man of my Dreams - Part I


 We are nearing July 6, the anniversary of our first date. Our love story is so sweet. I feel the need to share it. During the month of June, 9 years ago, I received an email from John Lennon via Yahoo Personals. I had recently placed a personal ad because I was very frustrated in my search for that special someone. I was divorced with two young daughters, which didn't make dating easy. A few guys had contacted me but most were only interested in a one night stand or someone to have an affair with. I only agreed to meet a couple guys in person for a date. Those didn't work out for me. At this point, I didn't have too much faith in this personals thing.
A picture of my daughters a few weeks before meeting John

I read John's email and was intrigued. It is always exciting to receive an email regarding the personals ad. Its a much better feeling than NOT getting emails for your ad. His email was short and sweet and he sounded like a nice guy. I vividly remember reading his email. I was going to college and found myself in the MTSU library in between classes.I didn't respond to his email right away but I didn't delete it either. I didn't want to appear too anxious and I was busy with school. Should I respond and give this guy a chance?


I noticed that his email address had a different name than his signature. How weird, I thought. Especially since his signature was John Lennon. I remember asking about this when I replied to his email. I said, "Is John Lennon your REAL name?" For those of you that don't know who the Beatles are, this won't mean much to you. But if you do, you have heard that name before. Obviously, this was not the first time he was asked this question.  We joke about it now, but he doesn't care for people joking about his name. It's similar to the scene in Office Space, when Michael Bolton is being interviewed by the efficiency experts. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out.

Now, back to the story. I found out that John is a pretty smart guy. He didn't use his real name as his Yahoo user name. So John Lennon, I think I'd like to get to know you.



We exchanged a few emails and pictures. I remember thinking, "Gosh, I sure hope he really looks like that. And I hope these pictures are recent, not an old photo that isn't an honest representation of himself." I'm sure he was thinking the same thing. That was one fear I always had when dealing with the personal ads. People would post pictures of themselves when they looked more attractive (like in high school), then when you meet them, you would be shocked.

This is one of the first pictures I sent him

After the initial emails, we agreed to meet via Yahoo Messenger - not in person just yet. For the next few weeks, I found myself at my computer screen at all hours of the night so I could chat with this guy I am so intrigued with.


To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I like it and I'm waiting to read part 2

    ReplyDelete