6.22.2011

Would this change your mind about smoking?

I have seen headlines and news reports over the last few days about the New Labels on Cigarette Packs to Prevent Smoking . The Federal Drug Administration feels that if they add graphic pictures of the results of smoking to the cigarette packs, that this will have an effect on smokers. I saw a news report that included images of corpses and black lungs. It was not pretty. Do you think new labels would motivate smokers to quit?



First of all, I am not a smoker. I smoked socially in my 20's, but thankfully never got addicted to the nicotine. I have family members that smoke. I know being a smoker is not an easy addiction to overcome. I've seen friends and family try to quit numerous times without success. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm not sure if this campaign will be as successful as the FDA hopes. I think if people are already addicted to smoking, it would take more than grotesque pictures to make them quit. I believe they already know that it is not a good habit and it can cause many health issues. However, it may help those who have not begun smoking yet, perhaps for teens. If they see the damage smoking can do, it might prevent them from starting.

I hope that something can be done one day to improve the lives of others in regards to cigarette smoking. Hopefully I am totally wrong and this will make a difference.

The opinion in my blog post today is only my own and does not express the opinions of any other person or entity.

No comments:

Post a Comment